I've been having trouble focusing largely. I just have so many projects I want to work on, and no where near enough time to write them all. I made a list for myself to try and keep track of exactly what I was working on, and to try and prioritize some of it.
In just the last week or so, I've worked on, thought about, or should have worked on:
- six blog posts/interviews/reviews
- edits for one of the anthologies I'm a part of
- my main WIP, to which by added somewhere between 5000-7000 words in February, which is pretty good for me lately
- three separate short stories, two of which are complete but need major revisions, and I started a new third one for some reason
- revisions for a completed manuscript I've been submitting to a few places
- outlines or tinkering on three other novels that are bouncing around in my head
- another special project that could take considerable time and I don't even want to mention because it will probably never happen
I should have started with some easy stuff.
That's a lot of stuff. Can you imagine how much work I would get done on a single project if I concentrated on one thing? I just can't seem to focus. Some things are driven by deadlines (such as blog posts and edits), and I do make a point of dedicating at least a couple of hours a week to my main WIP. But for everything else, whenever I get a few free minutes or an idea pops in my head, I open up a document on my phone or laptop and add a few lines to whatever strikes my fancy in the moment. It's good because I am getting lots of ideas and I'm feeling creative, but it's also frustrating because I'm not going anything done.
After I made my "to do" lists I broke it down basically into two columns: stuff that is deadline-dependent, and stuff that is open-ended. That way I can schedule the deadline-stuff, and when there's nothing pressing there I can work on the other list. That one is harder to prioritize, though I think I'm going to try and stick to my one novel WIP and one short story (the one that needs the least work) for now.
Though of course, if another idea pops into my head, it would be foolish not to write it down...
And I really should get that other manuscript out, I just need to do a few revisions and fix my synopsis...
See? I just can't do.
Please send help.
Pictured: Me, reading my writing to-do-list right through the commercial break.
Hey, I also have a post on the IWSG Anthology Blog today, talking about my story in the upcoming Masquerade: Oddly Suited. Be sure to stop by and check it out.
The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Writers post their thoughts on their blogs, talking about their doubts and the fears they have conquered. It's a chance for writers to commiserate and offer a word of encouragement to each other. Check out the group at http://www.insecurewriterssupportgroup.com/.