Usually, during March/April, I moan and beat myself up for not getting any writing done. I often work through lunch breaks, have to take work home with me, and if I'm not working I'm usually exhausted, so there's not much hope of getting any words in. This year I decided up front in mid-March that I wasn't even going to try to write for the next few weeks. Sure it's scary to willingly stop writing for any amount of time, but what is the point agonizing over word counts when I know I'm not going to meet them? I don't have any particular deadline to meet, so the only person I was hurting by failing to meet expectations was myself.
It's been a huge weight off my shoulders, and one less stress to worry about during what is inevitably a very stressful time. And you know what? I've actually sneaked in a few words here and there, too, because there was no pressure to do so.
So far, this has actually been a positive experiment.
MASQUERADE: ODDLY SUITED
There is one thing I have to mention though, and that's the upcoming IWSG/Dancing Lemur Press anthology that is scheduled to release at the end of THIS MONTH! There will be plenty of events and blog posts and other fun over the next few weeks, but the big one I have to direct you to right now is a Rafflecopter we're running to give away a FIFTY DOLLAR ($50) AMAZON GIFT CARD! (And that's US Dollars, too!) All you have to do to sign-up is spread the word about our great little book on social media, so why not throw your name in the hat and help us out at the same time?
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Also, be sure to drop in on the full blog tour we're running across the interwebz to help promote the Masquerade Anthology. Full schedule is below:
- Mon 18th March: Spotlight @ The Story of a Writer
- Fri 22nd March: Guest post by Anstice Brown @ Nicki Elson’s Not-So-Deep Thoughts
- Sun 24th March: Interview with Jennifer Lane @ Nancee Cain, Romance with a Serrated Edge
- Tues 26th March: Guest post by Angela Brown @ Blog of Author J Lenni Dorner
- Wed 27th March: Debut author spotlight @ Operation Awesome
- Fri 29th March: Spotlight @ April Blogging from A-Z Challenge
- Mon 1st April: Interview with Deborah Solice @ Dusting the Soul
- Thurs 4th April: Spotlight @ Elements of Emaginette
- Fri 5th April: Guest post by C.D Gallant-King @ Writer’s Gambit
- Mon 8th April: Interview with Elizabeth Mueller @ Just Jemi
- Fri 12th April: Guest post by Carrie-Anne Brownian @ Jennifer Lane Books
- Mon 15th April: Guest post by Chelsea Marie Ballard @ My Pet Blog
- Tues 16th April: Guest post by Myles Christensen @ Quiet Fury Books
- Mon 22nd April: Interview with all the authors @ Alex J. Cavanaugh
- Sat 4th May: Interview with L.G Keltner @The Cynical Sailor & His Salty Sidekick
If you could use a wish to help you write just ONE scene/chapter of your book, which one would it be? (examples: fight scene / first kiss scene / death scene / chase scene / first chapter / middle chapter / end chapter, etc.)
This one's easy. I've got five chapters at the beginning of my current WIP that I know I have to go back and re-write but I have been avoiding. Pick any one of those and I'll be happy.